Wednesday, August 25, 2004

When you live with someone, it's very easy to take them for granted (whether intentional or not). It is also very easy to turn off your ears, especially when they say stuff that you really don't want to hear. I, for one, have always had some trouble with this...I get so darn defensive about shit I don't want to hear...and it ends up with me not listening and stewing in my anger.

Lately, I've been feeling very alone. I don't really see my friends as often as I like. My co-workers are cool, but damn, I see them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week...anymore than that and I just may go crazy. It's like pulling teeth to get my family to come out and see me (actually, anyone I know for that matter). So, all I have is Byron and I can't be all up in his grill all the time...he needs his space too. I hang out with Byron's friends a lot, but we all know my issue with that. I have become an island...

I understand that after college, life gets in the way. When I do see my friends or Byron's friends, it's always good times. Byron is very good to me and is always there when I need him. It's mostly my family right now that I'm having a hard time dealing with. They make all these plans and don't let me know about it. I invite them over and they don't come, so it hurts.

Byron actually brought up a very good point last night to me and I have to say, it was the most intelligent analysis of my current situation I have ever heard from him. Usually it's just "I don't know" or "What do you think you should do?" Basically, my family is going through some trying times right now. At this point, there are 9 people living at that house. My bro-in-law isn't making as much money as he used to. My sister is stressed out about the kids and money. My mom is crazy. My dad is losing his job in 1 month. My brother can't find a job because of his DUI. Byron kinda laid this all out for me and said that from an outsider's perspective, they're all going through a lot right now and that I shouldn't take it so personally. They've got other shit to think about and it's up to me if I want to bitch and complain or help them through it.

It made me feel so much better...especially since I actually had my ears turned on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey doot, I have insane amounts of free time and if you're willing to meet me halfway maybe we can do lunch or dinner or something? Um, it just has to be cheap... 'cause I'm crazy broke. =)

Hang in there, we're all going through some shit nowadays, I think.

Cher