Monday, February 24, 2003

I can't believe how much more I can learn in one hour. I had no idea that my grandmother holds a master's degree in education. I learned my mother and grandmother's view on being bilingual.

GM: A child only should learn one language at a time.
M: But you'll be surprised how much a child can learn. They can learn both languages at once.
GM: In America, they can't be speaking in their native tongue. You need to speak English to be successful.
M: Now it's okay to speak two languages.

At that point, I was silent. I could easily argue for both sides. I was a product of this struggle. I wish I knew how to speak Ilocano or Tagalog. My Filipino-ness was questioned by a complete stranger because of this. You always want to place the blame on someone, but sometimes the only thing to blame is good intentions.

At least I know this now.

No comments: