Monday, May 09, 2005

Oriental vs. Asian

I remember when I was in SB my last 6 months, I had a job teaching colorguard to a nearby high school. SB is predominantly white, so I was teaching a bunch of white high school girls. I got into this conversation regarding the use of Oriental vs Asian.

white girl #1: "So like, since you're Filipino, are you like Oriental?"
me: "Um, no. Filipinos are actually considered Pacific Islander. But the term 'Oriental' should only be used for items, the term 'Asian' should be used for people."
white girl #2: "I don't get it. What's the difference?"
me: " The term 'Oriental' is derived from what the West, meaning Europe and the Americas would refer to as 'the Orient.' What many people don't know is that 'the Orient' was actually anything outside of the Occident (Europe & the Americas). It just so happened that most of their trading was done in Asia."
white girl #1: (confused) "I don't get it."
me: "Just don't use the word 'Oriental' anymore. I consider it racist."
white girl #2: "Okay, we won't."

I've spent 24 hours eating "Oriental" food...yesterday dim sum for lunch, thai food for dinner and today for lunch chinese. Yum. I wonder what's for dinner.

No comments: